Post image for Are You ALLERGIC to that Christmas Cocktail?

Are You ALLERGIC to that Christmas Cocktail?

by Maryann Pisano on December 13, 2015

Do you love a good cocktail once and a while, especially around the holidays?  Of course you do!  Well, there is a possibility that you could be ALLERGIC to alcohol.  Yes, it’s a real thing.  Do you often find your body reacting differently to drinks than your friends?  See if these signs relate to you:

  1.  Your Skin Flushes

When you’re allergic to alcohol, your face and body turn bright red, and you feel warm to the touch.  You also may be feeling lightheaded and dizzy.  According to Bustle, ” This happens because your body isn’t wired to metabolize alcohol. You are able to break down alcohol into acetaldehyde, but you lack the enzyme ALDH2, which is what processes the very toxic acetaldehyde into harmless substances that can be flushed out of your system.”  Yikes!

2.  You Break Out Into Hives

If this happens to you, it means that you’re facing anaphylaxis, which means you’re having an allergic reaction.

3.  Your Nose and Mouth Swell

If your nose and mouth swell, it could mean that you’re allergic to the yeast in the alcohol.  This is mostly found in red wine.

4.  You Feel Nauseated

Putting large amounts of alcohol in your body isn’t always the best feeling, but if you’re allergic, even a little bit could cause you to feel bloated and nauseated.

5.  Your Heart Rate Increases

If your heart is racing so fast that you can’t catch your breath, it’s time to stay off the booze and make an appointment with your doctor.


{ 0 comments… add one now }

Leave a Comment

Previous post:

Next post: